Wednesday, August 19, 2009

The Triplets Delivery

31 Weeks 5 Days Pregnant

Almost 7 weeks in the hospital

Tuesday, August 18th 2009.

The day felt just like any normal day in the hospital. I had a non-stress test that went well.
When My husband and B were on their way out to visit me that night I felt...different. Nothing hugely different. I wasn't in any more pain and didn't necessarily feel any pressure or urge to push. I just felt different. My whole pregnancy Baby A sat really low in my pelvis so I've always felt pressure but it somehow felt a tad different that night. It felt as though the babies all shifted down an inch. My contractions seemed to be getting closer together as well, but they have always gone through hour stretches here and there where they're steady...then out of the blue they stop. So I wasn't really concerned and I didn't really think It was delivery day. I just had a feeling that I should call my nurse and have her monitor my contractions however, just to be safe. So that's what I did. My nurse came in and monitored my contractions and they were steadily close together and pretty big so she called the resident. The resident decided to come check my dilation just to be safe as well. It had been a little over a week since they last checked (I was at a 4 at that point). My Husband (L) and B got to the hospital by that point and L took B for a walk down the hall while the resident checked my dilation. Low and behold I was 6cm dilated. She said they were going to move me down to labor and delivery and try to hold me off for an hour in order to give Dr. E and Dr. K time to get there.

It was such a surreal feeling for L and I to think that the babies would be here within the next hour.

When they took me down to labor and delivery I started violently shaking. When Dr. E saw me he said he knew I was in labor...shaking is one of the signs of transitioning in labor. He was glad they caught it in time to perform the C-Section.

My Mom and C made it there in time to take B home with them. By the time they got there she was flipping out. She knew something was different and wouldn't let go of me or let anyone touch me. She was so clingy and sad...it broke my heart.

They then got me prepped and wheeled me into the operating room. I was so scared I started crying.

The actual c-section was so much quicker than I anticipated. Baby A was the first born and the minute I heard his tiny cry tears streamed down my face.

Half way through the surgery my shoulders were experiencing the worst sharpest breath taking pain I have ever experienced. They said it was from all the air in my uterus that traveled up my body. The anesthesiologist gave me a dose of morphine and it didn't seem to help at all so he gave me a second dose that then knocked me out. L said I was pretty funny to watch...I kept scratching my nose like crazy and then tried a few times to get involved in all the conversations going on.

After they finished the c-section they wheeled me back to the labor and delivery room so they could monitor me closely for the next hour. While we were there a NICU representative brought us some pictures of the babies....first time we had seen them yet and it was so surreal. Then L went back to the NICU to see the babies and take some pictures.

Baby A (boy) was born at 8:04pm weighing in at the smallest. 3lbs. 13oz. and 15 3/4"
Baby B (boy) was born at 8:05pm weighing in as the largest. 4lbs. 2oz. and 16 1/4"
Baby C (girl) was born at 8:06pm 3lbs. 14oz. about 18"

While L was in the NICU all babies were doing well. Baby B seemed to be doing the best of the three. They gave all the babies surfactant for their lungs and when they were giving it to B through a tube into his lungs it got clogged and he couldn't breath. They then asked L to leave the room and they called a code over the loud speaker and doctors and nurses came rushing in. They got B stabilized and he's doing a lot better but now he's the furthest behind of the three.

All the babies started out on cpaps and then they moved A & C to canulas and today A & C were on complete room air. We can't believe how well they're progressing.

They are all adorable and look so different from each other. A & B came out with a lot of dark hair. B's however is looking like it's lightening up. C came out with hardly any hair and what she does have is blonde.

They are so beautiful and we feel so incredibly blessed at how well they're doing.

L and I are still debating on boy names and can't quite decide on two yet. We're working really hard on it. We did for sure decide on our little girl's name.

I'm having a really hard time recovering right now. No offense to anyone out there who loves c sections but I personally cannot handle it. It is 5 x more painful than a vaginal delivery. Not only does my incision kill and I can hardly move but I got a lot of air bubbles during the surgery and they are extremely painful in my stomach and shoulders. The medications they're giving me make me really drowsy. I've only been able to see the babies twice so far.

The babies are in isolettes and we can put a steady hand on top of them but can't stroke them or hold them yet.

They are going to try to feed them through feeding tubes tomorrow and we might be able to do the kangaroo care with A & C. Kangaroo care is where you hold the baby skin to skin on your chest.

If all goes well for my recovery they'll let me go home either Friday night or Saturday. I will try my best to keep you all informed but things are really hectic and I'm in a lot of pain and feeling really drowsy majority of the time.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, my name is Lisa. My daughter is having triplets, they are due April 30th. She is 25 weeks along and all three GIRLS are wonderfully! They measure around 23 1/2 weeks. I am staying with her at the moment to help with her 5 1/2 year old daughter and the 22 month old daughter. Reading you blog has helped us feel not so frightened of the unknown. Your babies are beautiful
    tweetlisa@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete